COVID-19 Federal Resources Update
Monday, April 27, 2020
The COVID-19 crisis is an evolving situation, and as new information unfolds, policy is implemented, and opportunities present themselves, we want to make sure you don’t miss any time-sensitive prospects.
1. USDA has opened the Request For Proposals (RFP) to bid for the USDA Food Box Distribution Program, a $3 billion procurement opportunity for farms, food processors, and distributors who can source, assemble, and deliver food boxes for non-profit organizations serving those in need during the pandemic. Check out Penn State Extension’s explanation of details and how to apply. Go here to download the RFP - it is due on May 1st.
2. The CARES Act 3.5 was made into law today and it has two Small Business Administration programs that farmers in need should be aware:
- Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL) expanded to allow agricultural operations with fewer than 500 employees to qualify. EIDL offers emergency grants of up to $10,000 in cash to businesses that are losing revenue amid the coronavirus pandemic. Apply here. Note, it might still say, “lapse in appropriations,” but once the law catches up (our sources say by Monday), you should be able to apply.
- Paycheck Protection Program, which provides forgivable loans to small businesses (including farmers) to keep their workers on the payroll, has been replenished. Apply quickly! The previous bill’s funding ran out in less than two weeks. You can do so through any existing SBA 7(a) lender or through any federally insured depository institution, federally insured credit union, and Farm Credit System institution that is participating. You should consult with your local lender as to whether it is participating in the program. Go here for details.
- This link will lead you to a resource matrix that organizes funding opportunities identified in the CARES Act and other federal resources that can help support rural America. Opportunities are categorized by customer and assistance type.
- SBA is offering 60-minute webinars next week on the Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL) and the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP):
Monday, April 27, 2020 - 9:00am EDT: Register here
Monday, April 27, 2020 - 11:00am EDT: Register here
Monday, April 27, 2020 - 1:00pm EDT: Register here
Monday, April 27, 2020 - 3:00pm EDT: Register here
Tuesday, April 28, 2020 - 9:00am EDT: Register here
Tuesday, April 28, 2020 - 11:00am EDT: Register here
Tuesday, April 28, 2020 - 1:00pm EDT: Register here
Tuesday, April 28, 2020 - 3:00pm EDT: Register here
Information sourced from the Farmer Veteran Coalition.